2005 - present: Holobloc Inc. -
Founder and President
Senior Principal Engineer, Advanced Technology
Engineer of the Year, 1991
Lynde Bradley Innovation Award,
- Project Leader, IEC TC65/WG6 (Function Blocks). Leading the
development of IEC 61499, the International Standard for
Function Blocks in Industrial Process Measurement and Control
- Produced the first JavaTM-based Function Block
Development Kit (FBDK).
- U.S. Technical Expert and Coordinator, IEC SC65B/WG7/TF3. Led
the development of the first two Editions of IEC 61131-3, the International Standard for
Programmable Controller languages.
- Led the development of the first object-oriented Integrated
Project Support Environment (IPSE) in Smalltalk
for the IEC languages.
- Holonic Manufacturing Systems (HMS) Consortium:
Regional Project Manager for HMS Test Case, 1993-94; Member of
Interim Management Committee, 1994-96; Work Package 1 (System
Architecture and Engineering) Leader, 1996-2000.
1982 - 86: Allen-Bradley Programmable Controller Division
Manager, Advanced R&D
- Co-ordinated first Group-wide training in Artificial
- Led the development of the first expert system to be deployed
in the Company.
Electronic Controls Division
Johnson City, TN
Key Personnel Award, 1982
- Coordinated final design test, production phase-in and market
introduction of enhancements to PM550 programmable controller system.
Introduced and enforced first system-level Design Verification Test;
identified and resolved several potentially major problems before
- Introduced Evolutionary Operations (EVOP) to optimize
power-cycling burn-in and wave-solder machine operations.
- Analyzed requirements, performed initial evaluation of design
alternatives, and wrote product specification for TI510 programmable
- President and co-founder. Developed and marketed
microprocessor-based electronic music instruments.
School of Chemical Engineering and Materials
Assistant/Associate Professor (tenured 1983)
- Taught courses in Chemical Engineering and Computer Science.
Implemented computer-assisted programmed courses in chemical process
dynamics and control, design and optimization.
- Developed departmental undergraduate Real-Time Computing
Laboratory using PDP-8E based hybrid computer. Supervised development
of on-line and off-line data acquisition systems for research
laboratories. Supervised software development for PDP-9L computer in
College of Engineering Real-Time Computing Laboratory.
1974-78: D&B Computing
Oklahoma City, OK
- Developed software for processing of meteorological and
pollutant data from power plant sites. Developed complete small
business accounting package for Raytheon 703 computer. Designed
real-time hardware and software interfaces for Raytheon 703 under FAA
- Performed simulation studies of blast furnace
thermoeconomics, leading to a patented process for this client.
1974: Science and Public Policy Program
University of Oklahoma
- Evaluated data on refinery pollutant and energy flows and
developed corresponding section of EPA report on energy systems for
1972: Atomic Energy Commission
Ames Laboratory, Ames, IA
Faculty Research Fellow
- In two-month period designed, debugged and documented data
acquisition hardware and software interface between PDP-8L
minicomputer and large EAI hybrid computer.
- Developed automated calculation-sequencing and
convergence-forcing modules for large chemical plant design and
- Monterrey, N.L., Mexico: Wisconsin/Monterrey Program
- Java, Smalltalk,
Prolog, Lisp, C, FORTRAN, BASIC
- English, Spanish (speaking/reading/writing)
- French, German, Italian (reading)
Last updated: 2012-03-03.
Go to holobloc.com.